Based on the enrollment placement test and the recommendation of the teacher, the student will be placed in one of three categories. Each category holds their own goals and give the most customized learning experience possible.
Plan # 1: Struggling Students - For students who have a tough time completing their homework each day or may require a lot of extra assistance to complete their work, the teacher will recommend private one-hour lessons 2 – 3 times per week (depending on your budget). A discount will be offered for any private class that you sign up for due to teacher recommendation.
- School Contact - We personally get in contact with your student's teacher to help pinpoint problem areas in the classroom.
- Daily Comments - Optimus teachers are required to write daily comments regarding your student's academics and behavior. This will help identify daily academic and behavior concerns.
As parents or guardians, you have access to view these daily comments through your student's Optimus Learning School Portal.
- Worksheets - At Optimus we believe practice and review are important elements in helping your student achieve their academic goals. Students in PLAN#1 will be assigned worksheets to practice and review subjects that are areas of concern.
- Homework - If a student in PLAN #1 does not finish their worksheets during their time at Optimus, the worksheets are assigned for homework. At home, it is important to encourage your student to complete their Optimus homework in order to ensure that they are actively engaging in their academic endeavors.
- Evening Class (5:00-6:00 pm) - Struggling students are asked to attend an evening class (at no extra charge) during the 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm period. During this time, an Optimus teacher will provide additional help and address the subjects of concern for your student.
- Private Lessons - Students who need a lot of extra help to complete their work will receive a teacher recommendation for private one-hour lessons 2 – 3 times per week (depending on your budget). We offer a discount of 10% when you sign up because of a teacher recommendation. For example, private lessons for students in 1st – 6th grades are normally $45/hr., but you would only pay $40/hr.
- Parent Meeting - If the student is still struggling, then a parent meeting will be requested. The goal of the meeting is to communicate your student’s progress and to give you a chance to ask any questions you may have.
Our daily goal: Make sure all homework is done correctly before leaving for the night.
Plan # 2: Doing Well Students - Students who can complete their homework during the allotted time with little assistance will be encouraged to spend any extra time reading or practicing math through supplemental worksheets.
- Complete Homework – Students will be expected to complete their homework every day. Our teachers are readily available to help, but at this level, we encourage independent study as much as possible.
- Extra Math Worksheet – If schoolwork does not take up all your student’s time at Optimus, we have a large archive of math worksheets to help keep their math skills sharp. We keep all the student’s completed worksheets in a folder at Optimus so that students do not lose them or forget to bring their folder back. Parents may request to see their child’s folder at any time.
- e-Learning Reading and Quiz – While we want to encourage our plan #2 students to read and expand their minds, we also want to make sure they are not just wasting time with a book in their hands. To ensure they make good use of their time, students read books we have here at Optimus and take quizzes for comprehension and vocabulary through our online e-Learning school. You will be given your child’s ID and password so that you may access the e-Learning program to see what books your child has read and what scores he or she has received on the quizzes.
- Enrichment Programs – Students have the option of taking Book Club, Math, Writing, and/or enrichment classes. We want our After School program students to be committed to their enrichment classes instead of taking them for granted. For this reason, we give a 10% discount for enrichment classes. Students may improve or excel in their chosen subject.
Our daily goal: Make sure each student understands the work they are doing.
Plan # 3: Excellent Students -
Those doing outstanding in school and completing homework with little assistance or correction, will be given the option to attend enrichment classes 1 – 3 times per week.
- Math Competition Preparation Classes –
There are a couple of math competitions that happen on an annual basis, and we strongly recommend that our plan #3 students explore their options and participate in them. Under programs, the math competitions are listed. Furthermore, we will accompany students to the actual competition to show support for our most gifted learners!
- Higher Grade Classes - Students can participate in reading, writing, and math classes above their grade level. Students can prepare for the next grade level or help themselves qualify for honor classes by studying challenging material. These classes are provided with a 10% discount.
Our daily goal: Provide as many opportunities for independent learning as possible.
*The Student Level Placement applies to those students who are enrolled in our Afterschool Program.